Saturday, November 15, 2008

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evie, Marianne Stillings

Living on the assumption that you get what you pay for has never led me astray. My ex bought milk at Dollar General once and wondered why it went bad so rapidly. See first line. Okay, so I never expect greatness out of books from the bargain bookstore. I love it. I found Laurell K. Hamilton at the bargain bookstore. Not her best novel, but I found her there. This is possibly the same case

Midnight is not the best romance novel I've read. Not the worse, but I did struggle through it. It was long and agonizing and not what I expected. Judging from the back cover blurb, I was hoping for a witty, cute romance that sent me smiling after putting it down. What I seem to have gotten was a cheesy, medeocre-ly written bad romance story with some mystery to boot that left me going, duh.

I not only predicted the killer from the get go, but also guess that Evie's father was not Thomas, but was definately the butler.

My aunt and I have these moments where we discuss our readings and authors we love. I was telling her my frustration with the book and she said it is not one of Marianne's better novels. She had assumed that I had grabbed the book off her shelf. Low and behold, the book is sitting in my living room and has been since I moved in. Her collection never ceases to amaze me. She said that her writing does mature and this being her first book, we decided we forgive Ms. Stillings for the falling short :). I will probably pick up the next in her little "series" and dive into that as well.

I suppose if you want cheesy romance, and cut too short "love" scenes Midnight is the book for you otherwise....
















Remember it cause you'll be screaming it later: amateur

No comments: