Monday, October 27, 2008

The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown

Okay, so I'm five years behind on this one. But I like the advantage of me waiting. Five years ago, I was in high school. Five years ago, I did not have the education on art and religions that I now do. Seeing as I am studying both subjects... this is the perfect time for me to throw myself into this book. I do however, feel that the amount of time is also a disadvantage for the book. At the time, it was played off that the theories in the book were truth, when really, I know that Mary Magdelen and Jesus did not have an affair, and she is not portrayed in the Last Supper. My belief in the affiar is not because of my faith, actually, I think if there were a direct decendant of Christ, my faith would be strengthened and I would feel that I would be a little closer to him myself. However, I highly doubt that he got married... Sorry Dan Brown and Kevin Smith.

I love and hate Brown's style of writing. The cliff-hangers at the end of every single chapter... gah!! It makes me want to skip all the Silas scenes to get back to Sophie and Langdon. Silas though, is becoming a little more interesting. I also think this is a tad tedious. Because he leaves you hanging... and it could be a great climax... but then he falls short of the delivery that deserves a cliff-hanger.

Overall though, I was a little disapointed. There was a tone of hype for this INCREDIBLE novel, and I found it a little UNincredible. I did not guess that Teabing was the culprit. I actually thought it was Fache the entire time. As for the infamous cop, definately not. a. fan.


I found myself using google as a tool in this one though. For reference to the pieces of art. My aunt loves the scenes in the Louvre. She tells everyone that the escape bathroom... she's been there. lol.

It is rare to find a book so centered on art. At least in my opinion. I think that's what kept my interest, the references to the paintings, the history, the religion, architecture, etc. love it. I loved forming the images in my mind and traveling there with Sophie and Langdon.

The end, where Sophie finds her grandmother did definately bring a broad smile to my face. And the Star of David bit was genius.

Four syllable sum up: dis.a.point.ing

No comments: