Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Message in a Bottle, Nicholas Sparks

*SPOILERS*

The only book of Mr. Sparks I had previously read was The Notebook. Overall, I found the story to be charming... to a degree. I've done a long distance relationship, so I could relate with Theresa and Garrett. However, I found myself hating the book at the end. I had skipped ahead and after seeing some of the last page, suspected that Garrett dies in the end. The fact that I was seeing it coming, and I still cried says something for Nicholas Sparks ability to write drama.

It is a thoughtful story though. Fueling the, "it is better to have lost and loved than to never have loved at all." I still wanted to chuck the book across the room because of the nature of his death. His final goodbye and letter to Cathrine, and him accepting a life with Theresa and he dies doing it?!?!?!?! WTF Nicholas? I love that Theresa sends Garrett letters in bottles so that he can still hear from her and that that is how the book ends.

Because of my frustration with the book, I have sworn off Sparks books for some time. a year or two at least. Because he always kills the characters in the end, I'm not ready for some more "chewy" romance novels.

No comments: