Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Series Spotlight: The Belgariad, David Eddings

The Belgariad is hands down one of my absolute favorite series of all time. I can't tell you how many times I've read and re-read these books. I recommend them to all who ask me for a good science fiction novel. I discovered this one through my aunt as well. We were in Borders once upon a miserable day, and she asked me if I liked fantasy novels. Which I responded with yes, so she handed me Pawn of Prophecy and said it was her treat. I have loved them ever since.



The series consists of 5 books telling the epic journey of Garion, his aunt, his grandfather, and a few personalities they pick up on the way. Essentially, the Orb of Aldur has been stolen, it needs to be returned, and these are the people to do it. Eddings is a phenominal writer, and handles character growth in Garion very well. The story is well thought out and highly involved, besides, who doesn't love reading a book that takes you to another world, time, and place.



My favorite part of these books are the very definate personalities of all of his characters. The books make me laugh every time I read them, and that is a quality necessary for a great book. Hands down, of all the characters in all the books following Garion, my favorite is Silk. He is laughable, but has flaws that make him lovable.



Eddings does not leave you with just these five books following these characters. He later created another five book series, The Mallorean; plus three books based on the two series, Polgara the Sorceress, Belgarath the Sorcerer, and The Rivan Codex. All of which I have absorbed, except for the Codex.



The Belgariad is for lovers of fantasy for sure. Like Tolkien? Read Eddings.







Five Words for Five Books: Have the next book ready!
" Any time there's something so ridiculously dangerous that no
rational human being would even consider trying it, they send for me. "
~Garion

No comments: