Monday, February 2, 2009

Hot & Bothered, Susan Anderson

Reread. It's your typical story of the bad boy marine, the socialite girl, and their torrid love affair. The first of which begins as a fling six years prior to the actual storyline. A fling which a daughter is conceived.

I think the most prevelant thought I had during the book was how cheesy it was. Me, I like my action packed books. Not omigawddomenow. Throw in the I love you's and you have a not so typical novel. I can't judge whether it is written well for a romance, I have like... Nora Roberts to compare it to. I like the quirky romances, not the cheesy ones. Nora Roberts isn't a fair comparison really, cause she can write almost any genre.

The reason I picked this one back up was well, I remembered it to be one of my favorite romances. Not sure why. I was in high school. The thought occured to me that my problem with most romances is that I read the innevitable "love scenes" and think, "that is so not what sex is like." At least no sex I've had. Maybe I'm not having sex the right way. But whatever. No novel I've come across mentions how messy sex is. They don't give a fair description of the lover that can last all night but is doing absolutely nothing for you. No fakers of orgasms in romance novels. All the men are trained professionals in multi-orgasmic experiances. [so not real]. I need to meet a multi-orgasmic man. And the multi-orgasmic experiances are during intercourse, romance novels add the oral and hand jobs as bonus. Like I said, I would be much chipper if I had this much of an accomidating man.

Esme is by far my favorite character. Why I've picked a five year old as my favorite. Cause she is that little girl in the mall, who says cute things, that you look at her and think, "I want one like that." The effect she has on Rocket is adorable, he's a marine for god's sake... been up against the worst that none of us will see... but this tiny little girl scares the crap out of him.

All in all, I'll keep it on my shelf to pick up in a few years. Maybe by then I will have had some mind blowing, multi-orgasmic sex and can appreciate an above average male ego. It is odd how time can alter your opinion of a book, movie, or song. [just plain crazy]











Semper Fi Scream : mediocre romance

No comments: